Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sempoi Quiche - My Mama's Signature

mama's made quiche ... much better looking than mine hehe
This is a dish that never fails to satisfy my family's pallette, it's my mum's evergreen quiche...simple & scrumptious everytime...but this is my version surely no where near my mum's :)

1 sheet shortcrust pastry to fit 26cm baking pan (my mum makes her own ... pastry somehow is not friendly to me hehe :))

filling
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 can (or 2 small cans) tuna (my mum use tuna in water, i used what's in my cabinet, sorry mama)
1 can button mushroom / champignon, quatered / sliced, according to your preference
6-8 medium prawns, remove shells & cut into bite pieces (about 3 pieces / prawn)
a pinch of salt & ground nutmeg

custard
250ml cream
3 large eggs
a pinch of ground nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste

3/4 cup grated cheese, Kraft's blue boxed cheddar cheese has been the favourite

- preheat oven 170'c, lightly grease pie / quiche dish
- place pastry till filled up side of dish
- blind bake for about 8-10 minutes, do not over cook

- saute onions
- add prawns, tuna & mushrooms, stir till well combined
- add salt & nutmeg, & stir fry till slightly dried

- beat cream, eggs, nutmeg, salt & pepper till well combined

- spoon filling into pastry, spread evenly
- pour custard, maing sure to fill evenly
- sprinkle cheese on top all over
- bake for 35-45 minutes or check that custard is quite 'springy'
- remove from heat & let set till cooled

* serving it on the day its made is obviously the best, but you can also make this a day ahead, keep it in the fridge once cooled, heat up in microwave whenever you want to eat it.

Happy trying ... :)

1 comment:

  1. Tini, nanti my mum bagi her recipe of the pastry ... I'll upload. tadi takdan ambik gambar quiche dah habes .. ;)

    ReplyDelete